Saturday, June 19, 2010

Multiethnic Cohort Study

Last night, I completed another study by the Cancer Research Center of Hawaii, which is affiliated with the University of Hawaii and the University of Southern California Keck School of Medicine – the third time I’ve participated in research such as this.

The Multiethnic Cohort study is pretty interesting stuff. They asked me (1) to complete a long questionnaire about the foods I eat, the portion sizes and the quantities consumed, (2) to take three phone calls where the interviewer asks me what I ate the day before, and (3) to complete a final long questionnaire similar to the first.

The questionnaires took some time to complete – a half-hour or so of filling in the circles, page after page (about 25), twice. The interviews were about 10-15 minutes or so in length and it was quite pleasant to talk to the young lady who called three Saturday mornings in a row to find out my Friday food intake.

I’ll put the completed questionnaire booklet in the mail to them today.

I remember one of the earlier studies years ago that required a follow-up blood test, and one that required a urine sample at a local diagnostic laboratory. Or maybe it was the same study? I forget.

They will reward me this time with a $50 gift certificate. That wasn’t the reason I participated, however. I’m a sucker for studies and research, and if it’s not during dinner or my shower or my bedtime, I’ll answer most any researcher’s questions.

But don’t get any ideas now. Okay?

3 comments:

casch said...

I used to participate in a cancer study. I would receive a questionaire every so often. Then I got cancer and could no longer participate. They requested my medical records and I signed the consent, the medical center wanted $40.00 to send them! What a rip off, huh?!

Craig Miyamoto said...

Good grief, Carolyn. That's terrible!

casch said...

Unfortunately, the shape of medical industry nowadays.