Friday, June 18, 2010

How to Fight Depression

You say life has got you down, that you’re stuck in a rut and can’t get out? You say nobody cares about you, that you want to bury your woes in a quart of Cherry Garcia ice cream?

Well, have I got some suggestions for you, all carefully researched and journalized by the experts. And the last one is a doozy!

1. Think Fast. Research has shown that rapid-fire thinking will make you happier and more energetic, confident and creative.

2. Be Outgoing. Force yourself into the high-personality habit. Be assertive and adventurous and your mood will improve.

3. Help Somebody. Volunteer, bring soup to your neighbor, give a homeless person something, and you’ll feel good about yourself.

4. BUY SOMETHING! Treat yourself to something good. It’s not the size of the treat that improves your mood, it’s the pleasure of the experience. A free store sample or finding a penny on the street will do just as well. But what the hell … BUY SOMETHING!

Now, if I can only get my doctor to put that into a written prescription, maybe I can write my purchases off as medical expenses?

Huh? Whattaya think?

1 comment:

casch said...

These are all GOOD suggestions and I've been trying to do them myself!! It's surprising the "little" things that can lift your spirits!