Thursday, June 10, 2010

I Love the Rain

I Love the Rain

By Craig Miyamoto, October 2004

I love the rain, it cleans our world,

It freshens the heart, it give us new meaning

To live the way we were meant to be –

Full of energy, full of nourishing thoughts.

I’ve encountered rain that washed away the soil,

And yet I felt that nothing was lost.

For the liquid that it provided every piece of dirt

Gave it life, gave it hope, gave it meaning.

I’ve watched as mist floated down the crest

Of the valley, the foot of which shelters my home.

It created a rainbow that arced the heavens

And showed me the path to God’s loving heart.

I’ve watched as it swept by hard and flat,

And the rains of hurricane pelted my home.

But I’ve snuggled safely inside with hopes

And knew that this torrent would pass me by.

I’ve shivered as rain froze and pelted

Upon my jacket, ironically in desert,

The frigid sting cut through the fabric

And tingled my spirit that warmed within.

I’ve closed my eyes and felt the warm rain

As it bathed me, I lifted my humid arms

To embrace God’s gift that filled my eyes.

It cuddled me deep and gave me its name.

Like rain, the love that we feel for another

Just appears as if by magic to nourish us deep.

To her, I give praise and comfort and ease,

And I reach out, embracing the rain of her heart.

(I wrote this poem on a drizzly day, after retrieving my morning newspaper from the puddled driveway, wiping off my glasses, and drying my hair.)

No comments: