Saturday, May 8, 2010

Presidential Material

Why, you may ask, are there pictures of a white-haired, mustachioed gentleman and my father in this blog post?

When I was searching for the Queen’s Hospital Imaging Center recently, I happened once again upon the Historical Room. This time, my eyes gravitated to a painting of Dr. John S. McGrew, the first president of the Hawaii Medical Association.

That reminded me that my father – Dr. Robert Mitsuo Miyamoto of Hilo – was also an HMA president sometime in the late ‘60s.

Seeing Dr. McGrew’s image took me back to the days when Dad and I used to sit outside the house under the plumeria trees and wait for the red Kentucky cardinals to visit.

Dr. McGrew, meet Dr. Miyamoto.

Dad, meet your historic predecessor.

1 comment:

Beverly said...

How interesting that you would find out that Dr. McGrew and your dad were both presidents of the Hawaii Medical Association. Cool.