Saturday, May 29, 2010

Now What?

This past year, I watched a number of television series faithfully, DVR-ing them so I wouldn’t miss an episode.

The result? Half of them are gone, perhaps never to be seen again.

· Lost – Series ended.

· Heroes – Cancelled.

· Flash Forward – Cancelled.

· V – Season ended, back next year.

· Saving Grace – Final season just started.

· Fringe – Season ended, back next year.

I am sorry to see Lost end, but happy at the way it turned out. I still get a lump in my throat whenever I think about – or discuss – the final episode.

I am sorry to see Heroes and Flash Forward cancelled, but they both were headed in directions I didn’t particularly care for, especially Flash Forward.

Heroes was pretty much resolved and the final episode was adequate. Flash Forward, on the other hand, had one of the worst series finales I’ve ever seen in my life – a consequence of late-season cancellation and an inability to tie up loose ends satisfactorily.

As far as V is concerned, I am not all that excited about its returning. I do enjoy it, but if the characters don’t improve, I won’t be back for a third season. I have a feeling it’s going to be cancelled anyway.

I am sad that Saving Grace is ending after this season. This wonderful character-driven series on TNT that centers on Holly Hunter’s Grace Hanadarko is funny, compelling, and ever-surprising with no taboos left unturned.

I am ecstatic that Fringe is returning with its characters that I’ve come to love. Plus, the stories are pretty compelling as the series matures and moves in and out of the alternate universe.

Now that there’s only Saving Grace to watch on a regular basis for the next couple of months, it looks as though I’ll be hitting the Travel Channel, Food Network, the Science Channel, the History Channel and Turner Classic Movies more often in the evenings.

No comments: