Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Good Housekeeping Has My ‘Seal of Approval’

I had to take someone to Kuakini Hospital for a scheduled nuclear imaging appointment at 5:30 in the morning – which meant that I had to wake up at four-freaking-fifteen to get ready and shake the pre-dawn cobwebs out of my head so I could drive alertly.

They said the tests would take at least two hours, which meant that I should have brought my James Patterson novel – Alex Cross’ Trial – with me to read. But I didn’t, so I had to sift through the meager selection of old magazines to read and occupy my time.

There was a November 2009 Sports Illustrated that took me a half-hour to go through, but that meant I still had at least an hour and a half to kill.

The remaining periodicals were all health-related, or baby-related, and I really wasn’t interested in those.

Then I saw it … the August 2009 issue of Good Housekeeping.

I used to read Good Housekeeping all the time when I was a kid growing up in Hilo. My mom subscribed to it so I always had something to read. Plus, she’d consign it to my father’s office(a typical doctor’s waiting room) when we were both done, and I’d have a chance to read it again when I was there waiting to a ride home after school.

To make a long story short, Good Housekeeping has changed a lot in the last 50+ years. Some of the articles and tips sounded familiar, but as a whole, I found the magazine a boring read.

What made it interesting were the pictures – good Lord, there were lots of pictures of beautiful women. This particular issue had a story about Jada Pinkett Smith (cover picture included Meredith Vierra and Trisha Yearwood). A lot of the stories and ads pictured beautiful women.

Now THAT’S my idea of what it takes to ensure a good housekeeping.

Good Housekeeping has MY seal of approval.

1 comment:

casch said...

Spoken like a man! (Not that there was ever any doubt!) :-)