Saturday, February 28, 2009

Hello Kitty

During my weekly supermarket jaunt today, I passed Cara Mia, a little shop along the way to the post office in Manoa Market Place, one that’s carried basically the same merchandise for years (Japanese imports) under a variety of store names.

(My favorite store name was “Mashi Maro” with a pudgy marshmallow-resembling mascot.)

There to greet kids outside the shop’s doorway was Hello Kitty, the kiddie sensation that swept the nation decades ago and is still a favorite among elementary school girls.

So I whipped out my cell phone and snapped a picture. Unfortunately, it was a bright morning, Hello Kitty was white, the table was white, the sun was reflecting off the walkway, and the cell phone camera is unforgivable. Consequently, the picture is flat and some of the Kitty costume details aren’t discernable. But I post it anyway, 'cause I want to.

One little kid in a stroller was terrified, and the mother had to calm her down by saying Miss Kitty wasn’t real, and just a person in a costume.

Not real? Hey!

3 comments:

CHIC-HANDSOME said...

great week-end

casch said...

I used to buy "Hello Kitty" things for my DD!! Now she is buying them for hers!

Montee said...

My college student daughter still loves hello kitty. That is an awful big cat. I think it would have scared me too.