Friday, February 6, 2009

The Mandalay Bay Shark Reef

For quite some time now, I’ve wanted to see the Shark Reef at the Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas. For some reason, whenever I was with someone, they just didn’t want to go there. Finally, I went by myself a few days ago.

It was a disappointment.

For one thing, it’s a helluva long walk from the entrance to the Shark Reef. I swear it’s a quarter- to half-mile walk. You head for the sign and when you get there, you have to round a bend and head for another sign. Over and over again.

The price isn’t all that bad – $17 or so. I’ve paid more than that to enter aquariums in other cities.

But, if you’ve ever been to a great aquarium, say in New Orleans, or Monterey, or Vancouver, or Chicago, or Chattanooga, you’ll have to agree that the Mandalay Bay Shark Reef doesn’t cut it as a world-class exhibit. It’s accredited and all that, but its offerings are minimal. For example, the shark tunnel that they tout in their advertising is short and unspectacular.

I talked with a couple and their kid as we exited the place. “What do you think?” I asked. “Kind of disappointing,” they replied. “Would you come back?” I asked. “Nope,” they replied.

My recommendation: Skip it; It’s definitely not worth the long walk to get there.

No comments: