Thursday, February 26, 2009

They’re Gonna Close in September!!

I just found out this morning that the Zippy’s McCully Restaurant, one of my regular breakfast stops (including this morning), will be closing for a while in September to undergo renovations.

My friend Gerald Kwock was having breakfast in the booth next to mine and we had a chat about the recent Collectors Expo at the Blaisdell. (Gerald is one of Hawaii's most noted – dare I say “notorious” – collectors of any and everything under the sun.)

As I was munching on my pancake sandwich, I heard the waitresses telling him they were going to close in September. So naturally I had to join in the conversation, as I have breakfast there often. Of course, we all started reminiscing about the changes at the McCully restaurant. Gerald and the waitresses are old-timers; I am a relative newcomer, having only started to go there in the late ‘70s.

Apparently, Zippy’s is going to add capacity to the place – 15 more tables for a total of 40 – and make it a more open facility, which should be great for its patrons.

Good for them! I will be anxiously awaiting their re-opening, but will have to make alternate arrangements for breakfast in the interim.

2 comments:

R. said...

Two words: pancake sandwich??!! I wanna hear more!

Craig Miyamoto said...

It's actually two pancakes with a side of one egg and some breakfast meat. It's served with the egg on top, but I ask to have the egg and meat on a separate plate.