Monday, July 8, 2013

Where is San Salvidor?


The truth is, there's no such place as "San Salvidor." At least, not in one of the Mike Hammer episodes I've been watching at night. (See how I segue right into it after talking about the DVD series yesterday? Clever, huh?)

I did a Google search for "San Salvidor," and it kept popping up results for "San Salvador." On one beach vacation site, a reader asked about San Salvidor in the Bahamas. So I checked "San Salvidor Bahamas." No such place. I went to the official Bahamas website, and lo and behold, there's a "San Salvador Island" there.

In the 1959 Mike Hammer episode, "Save Me in San Salvidor," Hammer actually travels to the Republic of San Salvador in Central America.

So obviously, the person who prepared the title for the episode doesn't know his "A" from his "I" when it comes to a Spanish place name.

I wonder if he got fired for this. I mean, after all, it WAS on national television and has now been perpetuated on DVD.

And why am I cursed with this ability to spot typographical and word-use errors?

No comments: