Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Sherbert (?) Skies


I'm not a big fan of local Hawaii television news. Why? Because they can be so doggoned unprofessional at times. Sure, people make mistakes, but they shouldn't, not when their work is seen by thousands every day.
 
Take for example this screen capture. I took this picture last night of a photograph that KGMB cable Channel 7, the CBS affiliate in Hawaii, aired during its early evening news. It's a beautiful picture taken and submitted to the station by Bert Yasumura that the station labeled as "Sherbert Skies."
 
Wait ... SherBERT Skies? Shouldn't the word be SherBET? Good grief, they misspelled the word. Wikipedia tells us "sherbert" is an alternate spelling for "sherbet," but you know how inaccurate Wikipedia is. What is it that author Tom Wolfe said? "If it's in Wikipedia, I don't believe it" (or something like that).
 
Back in the late '60s, when I was at a dinner hosted by my insurance agent friend in California, one of the other guests mentioned an ice cream parlor that he went to called "Herbert's Sherbert." Then everybody cracked up because, as he put it, "It's 'sherBET,' not 'sherBERT'!"

Lemme tell you, I didn't laugh last night. I groaned. Shame on KGMB-TV. If retired news anchor/news director (1966 to 1986) Bob Sevey were still in charge, the mistake would not have happened.

Oh my, I just had a thought: What if photographer Bert Yasumura titled the photograph himself? Well, in that case, the station should have caught it and put the title in quotes.

Either way, the onus is on Channel 9. Shame, shame.

2 comments:

casch said...

It seems to me that most people say "Sherbert". ~ I forget what I was trying to say because every time I typed "Sherbert" my auto correct made it "sherbet". Until all I could do was laugh!

Craig Miyamoto said...

Heheheh ... see? The 'puter knows!

~ Craig