Saturday, July 20, 2013

Obon Service 2013

It’s that time of year again, when the wife’s side of the family gathers at Honpa Hongwanji Mission to observe the Buddhist Obon custom of honoring the spirits of our ancestors. Although the season includes Bon-Odori (traditional dancing), our participation usually consist primarily of the religious service.

As a Christian, I can still find time to remember my ancestors through this venue.
Usually, the officiating reverend is of Japanese ancestry; this year, however, we were assigned Rev. Arthur Kauffmann, recently transferred from Aiea Hongwanji.
And, for the first time, I was able to listen to the traditional “Three Vows of Refuge” chant in English, vows that if not kept, may preclude one from true Buddhism. I wish I could remember everything about the chant, but it’s something about taking refuge in Buddha, the Dharma, and the Sanha. If I’ve missed something, please forgive me. It’s the first time I’ve understood what the chanting is about, and I was completely wrapped up in listening.
The thing I enjoy most about the bon service is what the reverends teach us during their post-chant discussions. Rev. Kaufmann talked about the true meaning of the service – it’s not to honor our ancestors, it’s not for us to feel good about them … it’s for us to benefit from their wish that we live good and fulfilling lives.
Their life has lifted ours up; our lives will lift up those of our children, and so forth. So it is with gratitude that we accept what they have to offer. We are what they were.
Namu Amida Butsu.

2 comments:

casch said...

It sounds very meaningful and enlightening and I wasn't there!

Craig Miyamoto said...

At least this time I didn't see any of the family members nodding off during the chanting because they didn't understand the Japanese words. I enjoy the annual obon services, they are so meaningful and they open my eyes.

~ Craig