Saturday, July 27, 2013

STL Cardinals Take a Raking


The other night, I was watching MLB Network's "Quick Pitch" with its host, Heidi Watney, who gives us the day's round-up of Major League Baseball games and highlights.

Between game reports, she often does some updating of interesting stats. For example, the other night, she talked about how thee St. Louis Cardinal players (Yadier Molina, Allen Craig and Matt Carpenter) were in the Top 4 list of National League batting average leaders.

Interesting stuff.

And then ... my eyes just naturally wandered to the "upcoming" reports agenda listed to the right. There at the top was the headline: "Cardinals Raking." Cardinals Raking? Ohhhh, I think they meant Cardinals "RaNking."

Y'know, sometimes it just bugs me when I can't enjoy relaxing and watching something interesting on TV. Typos, misspellings and wrong-word choices just jump out at me.

It's a curse, I tell ya, a CURSE!

UPDATE (July 28, 2013): I just learned that "raking" is a fairly recent (at least I've never heard it before) baseball term used to describe a player or player who's hitting well. Thanks to Montee Wellman, whose hubby, Phil, is a coach for the Springfield Cardinals, the Texas League AA affiliate of the St. Louis Cardinals.

No comments: