Thursday, April 4, 2013

Brian's Seafood Market

While wandering around the recently discovered Chinatown Market Place at City Square in Kapalama, I stopped by Brian's Seafood Market, located in one of the corners.

It's not the biggest fish market there, and they don't have the largest variety of fish on sale, but it's a nice place with fresh seafood on display for the picking. They were doing a fairly brisk business while I was there.


I was taught to check three things that determine the freshness of the fish: (1) Does the fish feel slimy? If so, it ain't fresh. (2) Are the eyes cloudy? If so, it ain't fresh; the eyes should be clear. (3) Finally, does it smell fishy? If so, it ain't fresh; it should smell like the ocean.

The fish there met all three criteria.


They also had eel (puhi) on sale. Big thick, ugly buggers. The kind you'd quickly swim away from if you encounter one while poking around a coral reef.

A woman noticed me inspecting the eels and asked if I eat the stuff. Frankly, I haven't ever had puhi, unless someone slipped me some when I wasn't looking. I told her that and she giggled, confessing that she too hasn't tried it.

I have caught puhi with a fishing line, and it's fascinating how they tie themselves up in knots around the line as they try to free themselves from the hook. I suppose the people I gave it to ate it, but at the time, I was in high school and not a very adventurous eater.

Whatcha think? Would you enjoy seeing one of these on your dinner plate?

No comments: