Friday, April 12, 2013

Roger Ebert and Me

I have a connection with Roger Ebert, the iconic movie reviewer. Not a real close connection; after all, I never met the man. But, we both were journalists in the ‘60s-‘70s, we both had a lot of hair, and we both wore horn-rimmed glasses.
 
When a 1969 black and white photograph by Associated Press photographer Bob Kotalik of the Chicago Sun-Times surfaced again on the occasion of Mr. Ebert’s passing on April 4, it reminded me of a somewhat similar picture my staff photographer took of me two years later.
I dug up the picture yesterday and was struck by how much Mr. Ebert and I resembled each other. I mean, take a look at me back then (1971):
Craig Miyamoto, Journalist, 1971

Okay, now take a look at Roger Ebert (1969):

Roger Ebert, Journalist, 1969

Kinda uncanny, huh? Believe me, I am in no way comparing our careers or influence. All I’m saying is we had a connection via our pictures.

Y’know, I’m honored.

No comments: