Sunday, April 7, 2013

Hilo Days: The Power of Suggestion

How did your parents get you to do things? Did they bring out the “Black Mariah” ruler? Did they threaten to withhold TV or candy? Did they ground you?
At our house when growing up, we were coerced into being good in a way only doctors’ kids can experience. Needles today sometimes have bad connotations; but back then, they were effective.
This little story appeared on my website, “Hilo Days.”
The Injections
Dad was a doctor. You already know that. It was okay. The family always got a lot of respect, and we got a lot of kids named after us.
But there was a down side. First of all, we could never fake sickness just to stay out of school. Dad knew all the tricks. Worst of all, Dad always had a supply of those dreaded hypodermic injections waiting in his ever-present black bag.
Our booster shots were always up-to-date — without fail. One good thing was we never had to leave the house and torture ourselves in a doctor's crowded waiting room, endlessly waiting for the inevitable words: "This won't hurt a bit."
I remember sitting down many times at the kitchen table at Obachan's house and being presented with some options:
"You're feeling sick? I'm going to have to give you an injection!" I went to school.
"You better listen to your mom, or I'm going to give you an injection!" I listened to Mom.
"You better eat your liver, or I'm going to give you an injection!" I ate my liver (but I hate it to this day).
"You better stop teasing your sister, or I'm going to give you two injections!" I was an angel.
You get the idea. 

No comments: