Friday, November 30, 2012

Tell Me a Story ...


Tell me a fact and I'll learn, tell me a truth and I'll believe. But tell me a story and it will live in my heart forever.

~ Karen Benz Scarvie, Founder, The Wooden Horse toy store

The reason I'm featuring this quotation is because I was watching an ESPN report on Steve Sabol, who with his father, Ed, created NFL Films. Sabol died a couple of months ago, and the episode was a tribute to his company.

NFL Films brought drama and personality to the professional football games that we saw each Sunday on television. Not only did the films document what happened on the field, they humanized the game and gave us an artistic presentation of what we thought we saw but didn't.

That's what the Sabols did ... they told stories. Ed Sabol cited the above quotation, as a guiding light, saying only that he'd heard it before. So had I, but until I actually researched it a little, I never knew the source.

Now I do ... and so do you.

No comments: