Sunday, November 6, 2011

Season’s Best Kaimuki Craft and Gift Fair

Click on picture
The holiday season gift fair season is in full swing, and yesterday, the wife and I went to the “Season’s Best Kaimuki Craft and Gift Fair” for the first time ever.

Occupying every square inch of space at Aliiolani Elementary School were about 150 vendors of all kinds – homemade snacks, food, trinkets, Hawaiian ornaments, locally made tee shirts, dress blouses, aloha shirts, key chains, Hello Kitty, Angry Bird, other toon characters … you name it, somebody probably was selling it.
Jeez, were there a lot of people there … actually more than enough to make me uncomfortable (I hate walking sideways in a shuffle, trying to squeeze between people and getting my sandal-protected toes stepped on).
Still, it was a good opportunity to checking things out and do some of our Christmas shopping, which we did. We mostly stuck to the locally made items, for isn’t that what these fairs are supposed to do? Promote locally made small-business products, that is?
I was so busy wandering and buying stuff (including 10 langoustine lobster tails for $20) that I didn’t take a lot of pictures … but I did take some. Here are a few:



There’s another show next Saturday closer to us – the Nohelani School fair in Manoa. Somehow I have a feeling we’ll be going to that one too.
See ya there.

No comments: