Sunday, November 20, 2011

Asparagus' Smelly Side Effect

Do you like asparagus? I do. And if YOU do, you may be one of the 40 to 50% of the populace who notice a distinct odor when you go to the bathroom afterwards.
Did you see the 1978 movie, Rabbit Test, starring Billy Crystal and directed by Joan Rivers? In her cameo role as a doctor, she asks a patient, “You ate asparagus, didn’t you?” I don’t remember much from that lame-brain comedy where a guy gets pregnant, but I do remember that line.
Ever since people first noticed asparagus produced smelly urine scientists have been trying to figure out exactly why the body produces that effect when the vegetable is digested. You know what? From what I’ve read, they still aren’t sure of what chemical compounds create the smell.
Despite that unpleasant side effect, I like asparagus.
And that’s all I have to say about that.

1 comment:

casch said...

LOL!! I can never recall the name either!