Monday, November 14, 2011

Ahh, To Be Young Again


Being a young and foolish lad was a great period in my life, as I'm sure it was when you were a teenager.

Some of my fondest memories of junior high nights in my hometown of Hilo, on the Big Island of Hawaii, is when my friends and I jumped into the ice-cold India ink-night waters of Lanai Pond near the Canec Mill in our altogethers.

During a recent walk at Kakaako Waterfront Park, the wife and I saw some young people jumping into the canal between the park and some warehouses, just a-splashin' and having the time of their lives.

No matter that official government signs warned them of danger and implored them not to go beyond the wire fence, no matter that common sense dictated that they exercise some level-headedness, they were bound and determined to have fun.

You know what? I envied them. Youth ... it's blessed upon the young, and hidden in our memories.

No comments: