Friday, July 22, 2011

Weird Angles

Check out the drainpipe in this picture.
I noticed it yesterday for the first time while driving home using a not-so-frequently traveled route (I do this occasionally just to change the view).
Now, this thing may have been there for some time. Or, more likely, it’s newly constructed, judging from the fairly fresh duct tape used to connect the sections.
There must be some kind of story about the way it’s set up.
My take on it is that the vertical section developed holes and started to empty its drainage water onto the sidewalk. With me so far? Good. Then, in trying to fix it, they found duct tape just wouldn’t do the job right, so they had to replace the whole section.
The problem is (there always HAS to be a problem, no?) the replacement pipe section (the brown portion) was too short to reach all the way to the bottom. So they had to improvise. Still with me? Good.
They didn’t have a straight segment that could make a proper connection, but they had two curved pieces and a short straight piece. Tape ‘em all together and … voila!
I think that’s what they did. Looks silly, but what the hell … they figured it out. And that deserves applause.
Go ahead, you can clap now. (I wonder if they plan to replace the whole thing soon.)

1 comment:

casch said...

As long as it works, . . . I guess.