Sunday, July 17, 2011

Eye Yi Yi!

For some reason, the first thing I thought about when I opened my eyes this morning was … my eyes. Maybe it was because I remembered I’d gotten a reminder postcard from my optometrist that it’s been a year since my last check-up.

Or, maybe it’s because I felt some of what the Japanese call me-kuso (“meh-koo-soh”), which basically means “eye crud,” when I rubbed them awake.
And then, I remembered that I had an article on file that listed a few things about eyes.
Voila! Blog post for today!
I’d heard some of these before, but there are a few that are new to me. How ‘bout you?
  • Women blink nearly twice as much as men. 
  • An ostrich's eye is bigger than its brain.
  • A shark is the only fish that can blink with both eyes. 
  • Our eyes are always the same size from birth, but our nose and ears never stop growing. 
  • Dolphins sleep with one eye open.
  • Owls are the only bird that can see the color blue.
  • Honey bees have 5,500 lenses in each eye. Dragonflies, on the other hand, have 30,000 lenses.
  • A scallop has 100 eyes.
And that’s about the s-eyes of it.

No comments: