Sunday, July 24, 2011

Summer All-Collectors Show

 
A few times each year, Honolulu is treated to a collectors show. That’s when the wife and I hop into the car and motor on down to the Blaisdell Center near downtown Honolulu for a look-see.
It’s a pretty enjoyable outing, as we know most of the coin and stamp vendors, having set up at hobby shows many times in the past.
These days, however, I’m there as a very casual buyer, but don’t part with my hard-earned Social Security monthly cash unless it’s a monkey figurine that meets my stringent requirements (see my “Monkey Sees” blog, link somewhere in the right column of this page, for more details).
Meeting old friends aside, the fun part of attending these shows is to see what unusual items are being offered. There were no slide rule collections on display this time, no commercial laundry hanger collections, and no antique marbles. I did find something unusual, but I’m saving it for tomorrow.
Here are a few of the dozens of pictures I took:
Bromeliad plant at bonsai booth

Betty Boop surfing figurine

Halloween collectibles

Star Wars storm trooper
If you haven’t gone yet, you’re outta luck. It closed yesterday.

No comments: