Saturday, July 9, 2011

All Bundled Up


While walking at Magic Island last week, I passed an older man all bundled up in a long, black padded nylon parka and I couldn’t resist taking his picture from behind (didn’t want to show his face for privacy reasons).
He must have been broiling out there in the direct sun, but he wasn’t perspiring when I first saw his face under the hood. That surprised me because it was brutally sunny and must have been in the 90s despite the ocean breeze.
The man was wearing a dirty pair of rubber slippers (black as well) that I hope protected the soles of his feet from the hot cement sea wall.
One can’t help but wonder what his story is. My guess is that he’s homeless and was just whiling away the time at the beach, where no one would bother him. I later saw him reclining on his side on a bench … under the blazing hot sun, not in the shade.
God bless him, I hope he’s okay.

No comments: