Monday, April 11, 2011

Uh Oh, Pomelo!

On a recent trip to Las Vegas, I stopped by Trader Joe’s on Decatur … which in itself isn’t anything new to visitors from Hawaii. Trader Joe’s has become a staple omiyage (oh-me-yah-gay) source for us islanders.
I was interested in the pomelo (which we call jabon) that they had displayed. Unlike the ones that grow in our back yard, these were small, about the size of a softball. The ones from our yard are more the size of a soccer ball.
The price seemed reasonable enough -- $1.49 per fruit. I’ve seen some at Shirokiya (Ala Moana Center) that sold for as mych as $10 apiece, but maybe that’s because they were brought in from Japan?
They call it “pummelo” at Trader Joe’s, but I’ve also seen “pommelo” used elsewhere.
I wonder if these had white or pink flesh? Ours are pink … much sweeter.

No comments: