Sunday, November 14, 2010

Nohelani Craft Fair

A couple of weeks ago, on my way to Manoa Marketplace, I saw a fence sign at Nohelani School announcing a craft fair on Saturday, Nov. 13.
That was yesterday, and having nothing better do, I thought I’d drive over and check it out. The wife came along with me, and we both rather anticipated a small event in the school cafetorium where other events such as plant sales are held.
Were we surprised. It was a biggie. The first indication was the heavy traffic (not helped by the electric company doing something with a telephone on the main street and diverting two traffic lanes into one). The second indication was the lack of parking on the street, coupled by the closed parking lot in front of the school.
Orange-vested volunteers were directing visitors to the school’s ball field, which was quite filled with cars. It turns out the Nohelani Craft Fair kind of kicks off the holiday craft season, with dozens upon dozens of booths set up on the grounds.
We spent a couple of hours there (not to mention beaucoup bucks), and even found three of my high school classmates wandering around and spending THEIR money – Beryl, I had seen in August at the Made in Hawaii Festival (remember I wrote about it?). But Irene and Nani, I hadn’t seen in years. I think the last time I saw them was at a high school reunion in (I think) 2005.
You know me … I took a bunch of pictures:
The Wife ... Buying Buns

Pidgin Tees

Decorative Plantings

Snack-Themed Tees
I even took a small video of my classmates and the wife jawing away while my feet hurt:


It was a good day.

No comments: