Monday, November 8, 2010

Misconstrued Deception?


The wife and I had a couple of doctor visits scheduled today, both in a local medical center’s physician office building. Between appointments, we decided to have breakfast at the hospital’s cafeteria.
For my morning beverage, I took a chance on a bottled orange-mango (with mangosteen) drink that was identified as being “Just a tad sweet.”
The first thing I noticed when we sat down was the bottom part had a hollow indentation, reminding me of a champagne bottle. The next thing I noticed was the name of the beverage company – Honest Ade (y’know, a take-off on “Honest Abe” Lincoln).
That sent me into a little swirl of perplexing uncertainty. If you look at the picture, it looks as though the bottle is full all the way to the bottom, when in reality, that last inch or so merely reflects the color of the juice above it.
Sooo, I mentioned to the wife, is the “Honest” part of their name just a deflection? Are they in reality deceiving us into thinking we’re getting a larger bottle of fruit drink than we really are? And if so, aren’t they being a bit DIS-honest?
That’s when I took the picture. I was going to write about it and make horrible fun of them.
Then, I turned the bottle around, and this is what I saw – a printed-on facsimile of a Post-It note explaining the “funky dome underneath.” They talk about how environmentally friendly the bottle is – 22% lighter while still holding the same amount of juice as their older bottles.

Smooth move, Honest Ade! They KNEW I was going to buy one of their bottled juices one day and were well-prepared to preempt my sarcastic comments.

4 comments:

R. said...

Slick!

So, was it any good?!?

Craig Miyamoto said...

Not bad. It's a very light drink, kind of like when you mix fruit juice with water. Just the way I like it.

casch said...

sounds good, too!
I think it was great that they were "ready" for you! :)

Anonymous said...

Interesting that they explained this on their bottle. I read an article awhile back about Best Foods mayonnaise, after they switched to plastic bottles they made the bottom of the jar more concave displacing a couple of ounces. Jar looks the same and the cost is the same but it is no longer a quart.

Winnie