Thursday, November 4, 2010

Eating Don’ts

Do you suffer from iron deficiency? If so, here are some food combinations to avoid:
Do you have a cup of coffee with your breakfast cereal?
Don’t do that. The tannins in the coffee block your body’s ability to take in iron from plant foods such as cereal, bread and pasta.
Do you ask for cheese on your hamburger sandwich?
Don’t do that. There’s calcium in the cheese that attaches to the iron in animal protein and prevents it from being absorbed by your body.
Do you love a glass of red wine with your pasta?
Don’t do that. There are iron-binding polyphenols in red wine that prevent iron from being absorbed. You can counter that by adding veggies rich in vitamin C, such as fresh tomatoes or peppers, to your pasta.
Are you using soy butter on your bread?
Don’t do that. Soy beans contain phytates, which interfere with iron absorption. When you eat bread with soy butter, you only take in 2% of the soybean’s iron.
A reduction in iron absorption invariably leads to a decrease in energy and can even lead to illness. Aren’t you lucky that I read an article on this while waiting at the doctor’s office this morning? To be forewarned is to be forearmed.

1 comment:

casch said...

Interesting, but I think I will still have red wine with my pasta. :) The coffee and cereal won't affect me since I don't drink coffee and I don't eat cereal. Well, ok, on the weekends I have oatmeal~but still no coffee.