Sunday, July 18, 2010

What I Discovered When I Changed the Station

Would you believe less than six months ago, I had no idea who Michael Bublé was?

I’d just switched my musical preference from oldies rock and roll to easy listening about a year ago, switching my default radio station from 107.9 to 99.5 FM before the wife and I had to spend three months in California.

During our time there, we drove approximately one and a half hours each day to UCSF Medical Center and an equal amount of time driving back to my son’s San Jose home where we were staying. That’s nearly three hours of music, and soon after Christmas, the station we were listening to switched back from all-Christmas music to easy listening.

One day, I heard this very nice song – “Haven’t Met You Yet” – and wondered who the singer was. At first I couldn’t remember his name, ‘cause I got the phrase “blew away” stuck in my head instead of Bublé. Well, eventually I got my head straight, and all of a sudden, I hear his music everywhere.

Since returning to Hawaii in January, I hear one of the Canadian singer’s songs every day I’m in my car.

I can’t believe that he’s been around for more than a decade, and that I’ve only recently becoming hooked on his very pleasant voice and easy style of singing.

Just goes to show you what you’re missing if you don’t change the radio station every once in a while, huh?

1 comment:

casch said...

I like him too! I even have one of his CD's and that's a milestone for me as most of my CD's are oldies rock and roll. Oh yeah!