Tuesday, July 6, 2010

History Trivia ‘Oops!’

One day recently, we went to breakfast at Sam Choy’s Breakfast, Lunch & Crab on Nimitz Highway. While waiting for our food to arrive, I read the reading material they had laminated in plastic (“Coffee something or other”).

I came across a history quiz so I thought I’d see how smart I was. I needn’t have bothered.

Ye gads. When the person who put this history quiz together proofread what s/he had done, s/he apparently wasn’t paying attention and focusing on his/her work.

The answer (“Marco Polo”) that they provide for Question 1 (“What date did man first land on the moon?”) is actually the answer to Question 2 (“What explorer introduced the Italians to spaghetti in the 14th Century?”)

Compare the rest of the questions to the numbered answers at the bottom of the quiz. The answer to Question 2 is actually the answer to Question 3. And so forth, all the way to the end of the quiz.

But … when you get to the end of the quiz, the answer to Question 6 is actually the answer to … NONE of the previous questions.

I mean … I’m sure the Society of Friends isn’t called “Virginia.”

If the person who worked on this worked for me, s/he would no longer be working for me. And if that person were a student of mine, s/he would get an “F” for the article.

Just goes to show – one mistake put it in writing is there for the world to see … and to criticize … and to make fun of.

So I’m just doing my share. That’s enough for now.

No comments: