Friday, July 23, 2010

Filo Friday

Like the flakey pastry dough, Friday's Honolulu Star-Advertiser newspaper can be peeled back layer by layer to reveal fun stuff.

Expensive Food?

In the “Dine” section of the newspaper’s “tgif” supplement, I saw a small advertisement for a restaurant named “Yakiniku Million.”

Oooo-KAY. So what does that mean? Does it mean that they have a million varieties of yakiniku (grilled stuff)? Or does that mean it’s expensive? Or is that the number of people who visit there? Or is it simply a ploy to promote the place as a top shelf restaurant?

And if they’re so top shelf, how come they don’t buy a larger ad? These are questions people need answered!

Okay, maybe not. But it’s fun to speculate.

Local-Style Solution

In her morning column, Lee Cataluna tells the story about how Kauai’s radio station became the central point of information, re the island’s new trash-collection schedule. I don’t usually read her column (I think she’s sometimes too cynical), but this one caught my eye.

Kauai people are rural. Not just regular rural, but “Hawaii rural.” So when their routine is disrupted, they get upset.

Except for one little old lady, whom Ms Cataluna labels a “representative of the demographic.”

The 4-foot-8 lady told the radio deejay, “I can handle. I’ll leave my bin where it is and walk my rubbish out in little bags.” Sounds like my wife.

Doggie Star!

Finally, Bugsy – a pug from Hawaii – is on the cover of the August Reader’s Digest magazine. He’s shown riding the nose of a surfboard, and had a “speaking” role in last season’s Lost television series.

He’s running for office, so to speak. You can vote for him as “Most Amazing Pet” at www.rd.com.

He’s got MY vote.

No comments: