Sunday, July 4, 2010

Hot Summer Songs

I heard Summertime on the radio the other day (y’know, the Gershwin song from Porgy and Bess) … Sam Cooke was singing, transporting me back to my younger days when the living was easy, the fish were jumping and the cotton was high.

Okay, not really. But what the song did was make me pause and ponder … just what ARE the songs about summer that remind me of vacation, bare feet, sunset fun, hot nights, music and easy living anyway?

I thought and thought, and came up with this list of my 10 favorite summer songs:

1. California Girls, by the Beach Boys: “The West Coast has the sunshine and the girls all get so tan.”

2. Hot Fun in the Summertime, by Sly & the Family Stone: “High high high high there, them summer days, those summer days.”

3. Summer in the City, by The Loving Spoonful: “Hot town, summer in the city. Back of my neck getting dirty and gritty.”

4. Summertime Blues, by Eddie Cochran: “Sometimes I wonder what I’m-a gonna do, but there ain’t no cure for the summertime blues.”

5. All Summer Long, by the Beach Boys: “Every now and then we hear our song, we’ve been having fun all summer long.”

6. Those Lazy Hazy Crazy Days of Summer, by Nat King Cole: “Roll out those lazy, hazy, crazy days of summer, those days of soda and pretzels and beer.”

7. In the Summertime, by Mungo Jerry: “When the weather’s fine, you got women, you got women on your mind.”

8. Summer Nights, by John Travolta and Olivia Newton-John: “Summer lovin’, had me a blast, summer lovin’ happened so fast.”

9. California Sun, by The Rivieras: “They shimmy and I’ll shimmy, they fly and I’ll fly. Well they’re out there havin’ fun, in the warm California sun.”

10. Theme from “A Summer Place,” by The Lettermen: “There’s a summer place where it may rain or storm, yet I’m safe and warm.”

Ahhh, summer – hot and fun and free. How ‘bout you? What are your favorite summer songs?

2 comments:

R. said...

Anything from the Beach Boys or Chris Isaak's 'Baja Sessions' album. :)

Beverly said...

I have always thought the song Summertime by Sam Cooke was sooooo sexy.