Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Chinatown Monkey Hunt

I took a two-hour stroll around Chinatown in downtown Honolulu yesterday, with the intention of dropping into any number of Chinese gift shops.

The goal of course, was to search for monkey figurines that would qualify for my collection – solid material, no higher than four inches, and no apes.

I did find a few, which I will post on my Monkey Seas blog over the next couple of weeks. I also took a lot of pictures of sights and colors that are a feast for the eyes in Chinatown. I’ll post those in here during the next few days.

But the one image during my wander that will stick with me for a while was this one:

It’s a homeless person, making his bed on the hard and cold sidewalk. He was asleep, dressed in a hodge-podge of clothes that I’d guess were castoffs or were given to him by a kind soul.

I don’t normally do things like this, but I gave him some money – slipped some money anonymously under his water bottle. It didn’t make me feel any better, but I hope it helped him.

1 comment:

Beverly said...

Aww, Craig ... you're a good egg, fer sur!!