Monday, March 15, 2010

They Can’t Mean That …

… Can they?

Is the hospital really serious when they put up a sign that says no food or drink is allowed in a waiting area?
Nah, they can’t really mean that.
Well, you know, I’ve been spending a lot of time in the Queen’s Hospital Critical Care Unit waiting room the past couple of days and am amazed at the number of people who (1) don’t read the rules, and/or (2) don’t respect them enough to follow them.
Large throngs of family clans numbering 10 or more pour out of the elevator carrying plastic shopping bags or boxes full of take-out lunches or home meal leftovers.
One of the groups consisted of 10 children, 10 adults and two large cardboard boxes piled high with “take-out” containers. Oh, and three gigantic cups of sodas too.

The 10 kids proceeded to make their presence known, running around the waiting area. I mean, don't these people believe in leaving kids home with babysitters or older children or other family members when they visit a hospital of all places?
Our small family group of 3 had a difficult time finding three seats together every time we arrived.
Well, when all's said and down, I can be patient with the kids, I can be patient with the wait, and I can be patient with big family groups. After all, I’m a pretty patient guy.
What irks me is the total disregard for the “no food” rule, and the lack of any hospital personnel assigned to the CCU waiting room reception desk who can enforce the rule and keep order.
If I were a Grinchy guy, I’d point out the sign to everyone who brings in food. But I’m not a Grinchy guy. But I may turn into one.

2 comments:

Beverly said...

These are the same people that think rules are made to be broken. A total disrespect for others.

casch said...

Most people think the rules aren't for them! Only for others.