Saturday, March 20, 2010

There Are Times When …

… curiosity gets the best of me. Last night was one of those times.

The nurse attending to the patient I was visiting at Queen's Hospital was hooking up a new bag of something called Peptamen AF, which is a liquid nutritional formula used to tube-feed adults in the hospital who are unable to feed themselves normally, or who have a compromised gastro-intestinal function, or who simply have challenging feeding issues.

Think of it as baby formula (made by Nestle) for adults. It’s yellow and packed full of the good stuff, providing a balanced distribution of protein, fat and carbohydrate. In other words, it’s just what the body needs to refuel.

Well, last night I decided I wanted to taste it. Everybody in the room thought I was nuts – “Ewww,” and “Don’t do it,” and “What?”

The nurse obliged me putting a few drops in a little medicine cup. You know what? It wasn’t bad-tasting at all, and reminded me of Enfamil baby formula.

When I went there today to re-visit the patient, word apparently had gotten around. I think I may now be a legend there. Nah, couldn’t be … could it?

There are times when one just has to try for himself. Right?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
casch said...

So what did it taste like?