Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Street Magic

One of these days, I’ll be walking down the street and a strange young guy wearing a tee shirt and black jeans is going to walk up to me and say, “Wanna see something? Wait. Look at this.”

I’ll stop and look at him curiously. He’ll stare into my eyes and say, “I don’t know if this will work, but it’s pretty neat.”

Okay, I’ll be hooked.

He’ll take out a pack of cards, fan them out face down and tell me to pick one. I will pull one out … it’s the 8 of spades, but he won’t know that.

“Put it back in the deck,” he’ll say. I’ll do just that.

He’ll then shuffle the cards and throw them against a store window. The cards will hit the glass and fall to the ground.

All except one. It’ll be the 8 of spades, and it’ll be stuck to the window, face side toward us.

The thing is, it’ll be on the OTHER SIDE of the window.

“How … how’d you do that?” I’ll ask incredulously.

The young man will just look at me seriously, and say, “Wanna see another one?”

Hell yeah, I would. So he’ll have me pick out another card, write my name on the face, and return it to the deck … which I’ll do.

He’ll tell me to “keep your feet planted firmly on the sidewalk.” I’ll do that.

He’ll drop the deck of cards on the ground in front of me, bend down, and as I watch him like a hawk, brush the cards away from my feet. My feet will remain planted firmly on the sidewalk.

This guy will rise up again, stand back, and ask me to lift my left foot.

Under my left foot will be the card I picked, with my name on it in my own handwriting, exactly the way I wrote on it.

I’ll stare at the card, look at the guy, back at the card, back at the guy.

“How’d you do that?” I’ll ask.

He’ll just look at me, expressionless, turn around, and walk away.

His name will be David Blaine.

I can’t wait!

1 comment:

casch said...

I've seen him on TV. Not for a while though. I saw him levitate once, then throw up. Someone told me that was EVIL helping him do that, that's why he throws up afterwards. I dunno. . .