Sunday, March 21, 2010

My Wellman Bobble-Head Doll

A good friend of mine from Texas knows I’m an Atlanta Braves fan.

Her husband, Phillip Wellman, just happens to be the manager of the Mississippi Braves, one of Atlanta’s minor league clubs.

The other day, she sent me a terrific Mississippi Braves cap as a souvenir that I can wear while cheering on the Braves. Included in the box of Braves souvenirs was this bobble-head doll of her husband, Phillip Wellman.

I don’t know if you watch ESPN, but Phillip Wellman is famous for blowing his stack when the umpire tossed his pitcher out of their game against the Chattanooga Lookouts, earning him a three-game suspension, but also making him famous.

ESPN ranked his episode #1 in their Top Ten Meltdowns of 2007.

Not only is he famous, he’s a pretty good manager. Last year, he led his Mississippi club to the Southern League championship, beating the Carolina Mudcats 3-2 in a decisive extra-inning game.

And I’ve got his bobble-head doll sitting on my desk now, nodding at me with every key that I punch on my keyboard.

No comments: