Thursday, July 16, 2009

Not San Fran Prisco, Silly

“Oh look,” the wife said as she gazed out to sea during our most recent walk at Waterfront Park. “Does it say ‘Frisco’ on the side of that ship?"

The ship was so far out that I couldn’t make out the word. So I took a high-res pic with my digital camera and magnified the preview image in-camera. The word on the side of the ship was “Prisco.”

“Aha,” I said jokingly, “somebody misspelled ‘Frisco’!” Silly me.

I googled “Prisco ship Hawaii” when I got home, and discovered that the ship is a medium-sized tanker built by Hyundai Heavy Industries for the Primorsk Shipping Corporation, and is being used to transport oil to the islands.

It’s under a three-year lease to Tesoro, and made its first call to Hawaii in February 2008.

The things you learn just by looking out to sea during a Monday walk in the park with your wife.

2 comments:

Frannyp said...

Well there is a Fran Prisco I just do not own a tanker!

Fran Prisco

Craig Miyamoto said...

Hiya Fran Prisco! What a coincidence, huh?