Saturday, July 18, 2009

Kaimuki Orchid Society 2009

I missed out on a chance to see orchids on display by the Ewa Orchid Club last week because I had already committed to set up at our stamp-coin dealers’ monthly bourse on Saturday.

So I was particularly pleased that the Kaimuki Orchid Society had scheduled THEIR show for this weekend. The original plan was for the wife and me to head on over the Kalani High School on Friday after we’d done our Costco shopping, but it was so hot and by the time we got home, we were both pooped out.

This morning dawned nice and cool, with a bit of a drizzle (at the cusp of Manoa Valley, we call it “Manoa Mist”), promising a nice day in store for us.

We headed out a little early so we could have breakfast. I tried to find a new place to have breakfast in the East Honolulu area, but to no avail, so we went to Zippy’s near Kahala Mall, which sufficed.

After breakfast, we were only a hop, skip and a jump from Kalani High – a most convenient and pleasant surprise.

We got there after the show had been opened for a couple of hours and parking was at a premium. Luckily, someone pulled out just as I had dropped the wife near the entrance so she wouldn’t have to walk far with me if I had to park at a distance. The space I chanced on was only a hundred feet or so from the entrance.

This orchid show reminded me of stamp shows – exhibits in the middle, surrounded by vendors on all sides, all of whom seemed to be doing brisk business. At one end of the gymnasium was a display of bonsai trees being exhibited by the Rainbow Bonsai Club.

I took a few dozen pictures of some of the most unusual and beautiful orchids I’ve ever seen. Here are a few:

The show continues on Sunday. It apparently is a labor of family love – the Kobayashi family. Ralph is chairman, Grace is secretary, Amie is cashier, and Jason is the photographer. Ralph also was vendor contact, Grace was in charge of information, hosts and hostesses, and both Ralph and Grace chaired the workshops and educational displays.

I like that.

No comments: