Friday, March 27, 2009

No Trains, No Planes … AUTOMOBILES!

The first thing I noticed when I walked into the annual FHB Auto Show at the convention center today was the new car smell – hundreds of new cars in the same place guarantees a glorious new-car smell greeting.

The second thing I noticed as I began walking around is how much most of the new cars look alike. No matter the maker, the sedans all look alike, the SUVs all look alike, the hybrids all look alike, and the sports cars all look alike.

There were Cooper Minis, of course, and Chevy HHLs. But no concept cars like the ones I saw at the last car show I attended in Anaheim about ten years ago.

I bypassed most of the tables with computers on them; all they want is your contact information in exchange for a little gift. Okay, I lied, I got a shopping bag from the Chevy people, and used it to carry some of the information I picked up.

Since I’m not really in the market for a new car, I didn’t spend a heck of a lot of time checking out the new models. Instead, I headed for the car club exhibits – antique cars for one, and Volkswagens for another.

The show runs through Sunday, but I’ve had enough and don't plan on going back. I took a few pictures, but here’s what really impressed me:

Antiques Galore!

Volkswagens Galore!

1 comment:

R. said...

I love the antique cars! Very Dirk Pitt. :)