Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Historic Hawaiian Stones

This past weekend was spent on the Big Island of Hawaii – the wedding of a cousin’s son in Kona, and a revisiting of Hilo, my old hometown.

In addition to driving around to view my old schools, familiar neighborhoods, former houses I’ve lived in, and some of the natural attractions such as Rainbow Falls and Boiling Pots, I stopped at the Hilo Library to take some pictures of two historic Hawaiian stones that have been on display since before I was a barefooted kid in Hilo.

The stone on the left is the more famous of the two. The Naha Stone, which weighs a little more than three and a half tons (7,056 pounds to be exact), was used as a test of strength by royalty. According to ancient legends, anyone who could move the stone would be destined to conquer and unite the Hawaiian Islands.

A 14-year-old boy, who would later be known as King Kamehameha the Great, moved the stone and grew up to fulfill his destiny as king of the islands.

The smaller of the two is the Pinao Stone. It is thought to have guarded the entrance of ancient Pinao Temple, which once stood at the site of the Hilo Library.

I’ve never failed to be impressed at these monoliths. And no, try as I might, I have never been able to move the Naha Stone.

No comments: