Saturday, January 11, 2014

Star-Advertiser Wrong Again


Per their history and reputation, the Honolulu Star-Advertiser made another egregious error in their newspaper. It's the above headline, which appeared in the morning paper yesterday.

See the error? No, it's not an error of fact, it's not an error in spelling, it's not an error in style.

It's an error in word usage. Repeat after me: "The whole is composed of the parts. The whole is composed of the parts. The whole is composed of the parts." Got it? Good.

Now, repeat after me: "The parts comprise the whole. The parts comprise the whole. The parts comprise the whole." Got it? Good.

Never let it said I don't offer solutions to problems I uncover. Here's the headline again, corrected by me:


No need to reward me, Star-Advertiser, a simple "Thank you" will suffice.

No comments: