Friday, January 3, 2014

High Survival Rate So Far

I survived a family gathering on New Year’s Night without getting hurt. It’s 1 for 1 so far this year. Getting hurt on holidays has become a tradition with me, you know.

Last New Year’s Day, I missed a step at my brother-in-law’s house in the dark and scraped my ankle real bad on the concrete step to the driveway. Then, this past Christmas Day, I fell on my cousin’s doorstep and contused my elbow, adding a deep skin-removing abrasion and puncture just below my little finger on my left hand.
The thing is, I really don’t want to go to these functions, but the wife forces me. All she can say afterwards is “I’m sorry.” My reply? “Love means never having to say you’re sorry.” (Thank you, Erich Segal.)
I’ve become more prone to these accidents as I’ve aged. Remember when I fell in the movie theater and inherited a couple of horrible strawberry scrapes on my knees? When I told my doctor about that one, he checked out the scrapes and said, “You have to be careful.”
The thing is, I’m very careful about where I put my feet when I walk. It’s almost like … “left step, shift weight, right step, shift weight” … keeping my eyes on the ground. Still, I manage to step on my toes, or miss a step, or just plain lose my balance.
According to an article in a Hawaii Medical Service Association periodical I just read, when it comes to seniors, half of all falls happen in the home. The most common injury is a broken hip. Seniors who fall account for 5,700 emergency room visits in Hawaii, leading to almost 2,000 hospitalizations.
The good thing about being hospitalized is you get good care. The bad thing is 40% of those who are hospitalized never return home (one-fourth die within a year). Gruesome stats.
Now … outta my way! Outta my way!
* * * * *
 
You may have noticed that I didn't post in the blog yesterday. With the New Year now upon us, I've made a change. Left Field Wander posts will appear on odd-numbered days of the month, unless there's something timely and the occasion calls for it, or there's something I want to get off my chest right away.
 
After a little more than five years of daily posts (for the most part), the change was needed.
 
Thanks for reading my blog. I hope I continue to entertain, amuse and give you conniptions.
 
 

No comments: