Wednesday, December 19, 2012

This Was No Advantage


During my recent trip to Las Vegas, I did what I usually do. I rented a car. And, as I was staying at The California, I rented my car from Advantage, whose rental desk is at the Main Street Station, just a short enclosed overpass walk from The Cal.

I got to the desk about 20 minutes to 10 a.m., early as usual. But the line was long, and it took me a while to find out why. It wasn't until I got within earshot of the ONE agent there that I found out the "computer system wasn't working." As it turns out, it wasn't the computer system, it was her.

Advantage, you see, had been sold by its owner, Hertz Rent-a-Car. The new owner took possession just that morning, and apparently changed the reservation system. And just as apparently, none of the agents had any training in the new system.

Ah well, I'm nothing if not patient. At least that's what I thought, going into the debacle. More than an hour later, I reached the front of the line, disgusted. See, the woman agent kept making small chit-chat with the customers, probably trying to lighten the situation. All she was doing was making it worse as the clocked ticked on and on and on.

(I got to know the fella in line just ahead of me as we complained to each other about what she was doing.)

When I finally reached the front, another agent joined the registration and handled my rental. He zipped through it while the lady agent was helping my fellow disgruntlee (?), and I actually finished before him.

I'm going to have to rethink renting from Advantage at that location again. Potential acidic stomach ain't worth the wait.

No comments: