Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Did the ‘Well’ Run Dry?

Photo by Craig Miyamoto
One of the spots I love to visit whenever I’m on the Big Island of Hawaii is beautiful Rainbow Falls. I never fail to snap a few pictures of the natural wonder with its steady stream of water falling like an alabaster veil over a huge cave.

Legend has it that Hina, the Hawaiian moon goddess, lived in the open cave. Her son, Maui, the powerful demi-god, lived with her, occupying much of the land along the Wailuku River’s northern shore.
I’ve seen the power of Rainbow Falls after a particularly long-lasting storm, and shivered at the roar of the Niagara-like waters as they plunged into the head of the Wailuku River. I’ve seen it peaceful, with two, sometimes three cascades; and I’ve also seen it when the water was barely a trickle.
Photo by Paul Miyasaki
But I’ve never seen Rainbow Falls run dry. Yesterday, Big Island resident Paul Miyasaki took some pictures of Rainbow Falls … and it was dry. For the first time I can recall, it ran dry. That’s more than 60 years in my memory.

It’s the result of a drought, but the Big Island has been through droughts before. So I wonder, could there be another reason? Is it a phenomenon that’s preceding Dec. 21, the reputed date when the Mayan calendar runs out?
Is it a sign that the Apocalypse is near? I sure hope not.

No comments: