Sunday, July 15, 2012

Unique is Unique ...

... nothing more, nothing less. Nothing else. The word "unique" cannot be modified; it has a singular meaning. It means "one of a kind." ONE of a kind.

And so I was a little disturbed this morning while watching cooking show maven Giada DiLaurentis talk about her recipes. In her opening statement was the sentence, "Venice is one of the most unique cities in the world."

That's like saying "Venice is the most beautifulest," or "Venice is the most hottest." No, I take that back. Those statements are stupid. Her phrase, "most unique" illustrates nothing more than plain ignorance. Something is either unique or it's not. Black or white, no modifier is required.

I think personalities who talk to large audiences that hang on their every word have a responsibility to use proper grammar and speak flawlessly. And that's why I'm so disappointed when TV personalities, headline writers, journalists, teachers, keynote speakers, business leaders, heck anybody, show their ignorance of the language (or perhaps unconcious disdain for the people they're talking to).

People ... Unique is unique. Nothing more, nothing less. Nothing else!

1 comment:

casch said...

You are quite correct, yet I am trying to say that sentence without the word "most" in it. I can't. I think you can only say, "Venice is unique." Maybe that would mess up her timing. :)