Sunday, July 8, 2012

A Big New Safeway

Some months ago, a new Safeway supermarket opened up at the site of the old Schumann Carriage car dealership at the corner of Beretania and Piikoi Streets, smack dab next door to an existing Times Supermarket that had been there ever since I can remember.
As might be expected, the state-of-the-art new supermarket immediately started drawing customers away from the Times market, a situation verified by the Times manager, a friend of the wife’s (our family’s okazuya was located across Beretania Street from Times, their employees used to come over for lunch, and the wife used to do her grocery shopping there).
But y’know, one cannot ignore the fact that Safeway is there, and so I’ve been going there on occasion. There’s so much that Safeway carries that caters to my own tastes, especially when it comes to canned varieties I can’t find at Times or Foodland.
I used to do a lot of shopping at Safeway in Manoa, since it’s just a mile or so up the street from our house, and I grew familiar with the place over the many years that I did Saturday cooking for the family. The only problem with the new store is that I can’t find what I want and have to hunt it down (I’m a man, so of course, I don’t ask for directions, instead seeking that glorifying moment of triumph when I find what I’m looking for).
This last time there, I took some pictures to show you what the inside looks like:
Produce

More Produce

Seafood and Meats

Bakery

Checkout
Like I said, it’s big and the pictures hardly do the size justice. But I can tell you, my feet do. After completing my shopping, they are worn down to stubs.


No comments: