Saturday, July 21, 2012

Driver's License Renewal

This week, I renewed my Hawaii driver's license, which was due to expire on my birthday in October. It's something that needs to be done every few years, and this was the year to do it. Me, and the wife.

I checked the Dept. of Transportation's website to find out exactly what I needed to bring with me. In the past, all I had to do was bring my old license with me and turn it in after taking the eye test.

The rules have changed. All renewal applicants must now provide evidence of "legal presence," in my case, either a birth certificate or an unexpired U.S. passport. I brought my passport with me. I also had to provide my Social Security number, not just the number, but an official document with the number on it (e.g., my original Social Security card, or my original Medicare card with the number).

No problem. I brought all that stuff with me. My first attempt, however, was a bust. Since we were at Ala Moana Center, we went to the Satellite City Hall there. Oops, they don't issue driver's licenses there.

No problem. The next day, we went to the Satellite City Hall at the downtown Fort Street Mall, under King Street. Application filled out, check. Eye test, check (I did have a small problem reading the small numbers, but apparently satisfied the clerk that my vision was okay). Renewal fee ($40 for eight years), check. Smile for photograph (good thing I shaved that morning), check.

The wife did okay too. Plus she had a bonus. One of the clerks, a former customer of the family delicatessen was there on the job, and she and the wife had a nice visit afterwards. It always feels good when somebody remembers you, and the wife was all smiles afterwards.

They gave us temporary licenses (the top one in the photo above) and punched a hole in the original one. A new plastic one will be in the mail soon, and we'll be able to replace the temp and old one, which they told us to keep together until the new one comes.

But y'know, I still look like a dork in the new license picture.

1 comment:

Muhammad Bilal said...

Exeter Express who reported this news dvla contact number this week has also mentioned that the action by the DVLA has been described as 'heavy handed'.