Saturday, July 7, 2012

The Hawaiian Blind Snake

I had an exciting experience yesterday … I saw my first Hawaiian blind snake in more than 50 years. Oh, you didn’t know Hawaii had snakes? Well, no matter what you may have heard, or what others have told you, we do. Two of them, in fact.

One of them is poisonous – the yellow-bellied sea snake. But it’s rare and only visits Hawaiian waters occasionally.
The other one is a “brahminy,” aka “Hawaiian blind snake,” a harmless snake that found its way to the islands in potted plants. Found mostly in Africa and Asia, they look like black earthworms that have been on a diet. They’re pretty skinny creatures and could be mistaken for earthworms save for their color, and their dry, scaly skin (unlike the moist reddish skin of a worm).
Ramphotyphlops braminus grows up to 10 inches long, but the one I saw yesterday was about three inches in length. Which means it was a juvenile.
The curious thing about brahminy is that they are “parthenogenic” (all females), the only known snake species that have this characteristic. Hmmmm, I guess being blind puts a crimp on finding a mate, huh? No wonder they spend their time just burrowing around in the dirt and humus of gardens. They apparently eat mostly ant and termite eggs and young. Also curious is the fact that they either lay eggs or bear live young.
The wife found the snake yesterday. She thought it was a young worm, which just goes to show she doesn’t know a lot about worms. Still, she didn’t want to touch it, shooing it onto a large plumeria leaf to show to me. Of course, I let it drop into my hand so I could examine it more closely.
After taking its picture, I placed it on the ground and watched it wiggle its way to some grass. A brown anole lizard immediately pounced on it and tried to eat it, but it wiggled pretty enthusiastically and kept on escaping. I wonder what the anole was thinking. It eventually gave up and the blind snake disappeared.
The first time I saw one was when I was in college. My good friend and roommate, Jim Kuroiwa, and I were walking along in Kaimuki when he stopped, bent down and picked up what I thought was a worm. It was a blind snake, which he immediately identified by its scientific name and showed me its teeny little mouth. Jim, by the way, was an agriculture major at the University of Hawaii, while I majored in skipping class to play ping pong at the dorm.
So anyway, back to the one in our yard. I got to thinking … if there’s a three-inch juvenile squirming around in our potted plants, could there be a 10-inch adult somewhere? Must be, huh?
Come out, come out, wherever you are.
(End of today’s Hawaiian zoology lesson.)

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was very helpful. Found one of these little guys in my house today and wanted to know what it was. ��

Craig Miyamoto said...

So happy this helped, Anon.!

~ Craig

Lana said...

Like many people, I mistakenly believed that Hawaii has no snakes until I recently spotted a little blind snake slithering around on my door stoop. I was born and raised in a mainland state that has plenty of snakes, so I knew the tiny thing was moving like a snake. I didn't touch it, but I blew on it, which got its attention. At that point, it slowed down and raised its head like snakes do. I then left it alone, and it disappeared into a crack on the exterior of my home. On the other hand, yikes about the yellow-bellied sea snake! Does it come out of the water onto dry land here in Hawaii? Do you know if it can strike while swimming? Thank you for your interesting article. :-)

Unknown said...

Think I found one inside a finished basement room (sometimes damp, mildew) this afternoon, in North Carolina. Possible? Have no idea where it came from. I looked up at the ceiling, no opening. I had picked it up thinking it was a piece of yarn, and noticed that it was moving slowly. I took it outside and as I was taking it to grass, it came "alive" wiggling like a snake. I was glad to let it go! Dark brown/black, slim, scaly, and no sections like an earth worm. Now I'm wondering where it's mother and siblings are!!

Unknown said...

I once saw a blind snake in Arizona. And like you, I was thrilled, even if it was almost indistinguishable from an earthworm. But its habits are far different than a vegetarian earthworm, it is carnivorous and plunders termite nests. Thanks for sharing.

Craig Miyamoto said...

Glad you enjoyed the post, Lana, Kirk, and mystery reader!

~ Craig

P.S. Sorry for the delay in replying. I am derelict in my comment-viewing duties!

Dan said...

Well, I'll be darned!
I just saw one of these for the first time (30 years in HI) this morning, sliding around the office. I, too, thought "no snakes in HI" and googled "thin black annelid worm Hawaii" and saw the picture from your blog. Great stuff! Thank you!

greenmarr said...

Saw one of these 30 minutes ago out side of front door. It was under my flip flop. Knew it was not a worm by the way it moved.

Unknown said...

I had one in my house on the Aliamanu Military Reservation in 2012. I knew it wasn't a worm because of the way it moved, but I was under the impression Hawaii didn't have snakes. My friend came over and took it outside because it was freaking me out. I have a video and pictures of it.

Craig Miyamoto said...

Dan and Natasha, they pop up every now and then. Glad I could help!

Unknown said...

I just found one in my house in Wailea on the carpet - about 2 inches long - no idea what it was but moved like a snake. Wonder if it could have traveled in some veggies from the farmers market?

Anonymous said...

thanks found one on weimea canyon today, wanted to know what it was.

Sherry said...

I was playing with these little guys when I was 9 or 10 back in 1971-72. I lived up in Pacific Palisades in Pearl City. I kept finding babies though, never an adult. I told my friends they were snakes, but they just laughed and made fun of me. So, I kept my snake friends to myself. Anyway, it's nice to know I wasn't alone in knowing about them.

Craig Miyamoto said...

Isn’t validation great, Sherry?

Lanaka said...

Aloha, I know this is an old post, but would like know the native Hawaiian language name for this snake, if any. I know of the generic term, "naheka," but did the Brahminy have a specific Hawaiian name?

Craig Miyamoto said...

Lanaka, I’m sorry, but I couldn’t find any answer for you.

Lana said...

Aloha, Lana again--my first post here was in 2016 when I lived in Laie. Now we live on a ridge in Hawaii Kai. There are multiple cats in our house, and they have a small window near the floor that goes outside to their "catio.". Last night one of the cats started "talking" in a way that was not a normal meow. I saw them gathered around one spot on the floor near the window, so I knew they were watching some kind of small critter. Lo and behold, it was one of the brahminy snakes. This little girl must have been older because it was probably 8 inches long. Of course I rescued it as I always do with any insect or critter the cats are about to destroy, took it outside, and gently placed it in the grass next to a lava rock wall. Have a happy life, pretty little snake!

afpixie said...

Just found a 1inch one in my house on Hickam. I also knew it was a snake once it moved. Found this post and gladly put it in my garden. I have lots of ants for it to eat.

Unknown said...

Can these be found in Caribbean countries? Such as Jamaica

Anonymous said...

Just found one for first time on my carport. Should I be concerned i have a termite problem?