Sunday, January 8, 2012

The Scoop on Poop

It was a place where if anyone heard you saying, "Oh crap!" they wouldn't mind. Because they'll probably be doing the same thing you are ... no, not making poop ... examining poop and everything you've ever wanted (or not wanted) to know about it.

Scat, doo-doo, dump, poop ... that's all I could think about when I visited the Origen Museum at Springs Preserve in Las Vegas. "The Scoop on Poop!" One heck of an exhibit.


The nice lady at the entrance to the exhibit had some samples of fresh (!) animal scat on hand and asked me if I had any questions about poop. I told her no, I've had enough experience in my life already and probably knew more about poop than most people. Yeah, right ... LOL.


But y'know, poop IS rather interesting. I mean, how often do you get to see (and touch, if you want to) life-sized models of pachyderm poop? You'd never do that at a zoo or in an African preserve, would you? Nope, I doubt it.

And oh my goodness, did you know that a newborn white-tailed deer actually has to get its mother's permission before it can poop? And did you know that in order to protect their babies from predators who might get ... er, wind of the droppings, the mommy eats (EATS! Ewww!) the poop?

And that's no gag! (Well, maybe it is.)

No comments: